Trip to Cape Comorin

Posted by Anantha | Posted in , | Posted on Thursday, November 26, 2009

A visit to the southern most tip of Indian Main Land (Cape Comorin) has always been a dream of mine, ever since I read and got influenced from the preachings of Swami Vivekananda in my school days! A colleague of mine is getting married in Tirunalveli,which is about 90kms from Kanyakumari. So I am heading first to Kanyakumari - will be visiting all the interesting places there and then going for my colleague's marriage the next day.
While gathering some info about Kanyakumari, I read that Kanyakumari is supposed to be the only beach in India where you can witness both sunrise and sunset! I think this is going to be really exciting. Though this is kinda obvious from it's geographical position, but I doubt if it is the only beach in India. I mean, aren't there any such beaches near the Souther tip of Gujarat or W Bengal..? Im not sure of that.. For those of who do not know much about Vivekananda Rock, this is a huge rock-island 500 meters from Cape Comorin. Swami Vivekananda got enlightened when he was meditating on this rock in the year 1892. By the way, Swami Vivekananda used to swim to this rock when ever he used to go there for meditation!

Above is the satellite image of Cape Comorin, Vivekananda Rock and the famous Tiruvalluvar statue. Also found this site, giving an exhilarating 360 degree view of the Vivekananda Rock Memorial (be patient when your browser loads the view, do not miss it!)
See ya all.. will blog about my trip once I am back from Kanyakumari.

Comments (2)

Thanks. An informative post and a great picture.

oops.. vivekanand use to swim to that rock mountain, its such a long distance....!
its unbelievable

Post a Comment